Hungarian Cross aka Kabai Cross [video]

Learn a handling technique called Hungarian Cross aka Kabai Cross! In the Hungarian Cross the handler moves to the landing side of an obstacle as the dog is approaching perpendicular to the obstacle from the takeoff side. The Hungarian Cross is an effective way to avoid off course obstacles located behind a jump.

Comments

Phil Seyer & Magic Momo2 years ago

So what do you call it when the Handler runs in back of the jump similar to a Hungarian cross but without blind cross. How about a Momo cross?

Niki Drage2 years ago

Hi Phil, I believe what you are referring to would be Running On The Dog's Line. Is this the sort of thing you meant? https://www.oneminddogs.com/article/running-on-the-dogs-line/

Phil Seyer & Magic Momo2 years ago

Yes. thanks. With 3 different but similar techniques, it is easy to confuse them. I am speaking of the German turn, Running on the Dog's Line and the Kabai Cross.

Phil Seyer & Magic Momo2 years ago

I can easily do a change of side after the "Human Arrow" --- I just turn my head to whichever side makes sense and don't think so much about whether I am doing a change of sides. It works great for me in trials as long as I wait for commitment before I take off running.

Yuho Shin2 years ago

What's the difference between Hungarian Cross aka Kabai Cross and human arrow?

Megan Foster2 years ago

Yuho, In a Human Arrow, we ask for a collected jumping effort from the dog, so there is a moment where the handler must stop to cue that collection, and there is no side change. In the Hungarian Cross, as soon as the dog is committed to the obstscle, the handler does a blind cross and ends with the dog on the opposite side, the handler is also moving all of the time.

Phil Seyer & Magic Momo2 years ago

I didn't realize a blind cross is part of the Hungarian cross. To me the key part of a Hungarian cross is that you are running behind the jump, parallel to jump. I guess my style is a variant of the pure Hungarian cross. ;)

Phil Seyer & Magic Momo2 years ago

Momo has a great table stay. So I'm thinking it might be effective and fun to do a Hungarian cross after a table stay Currently I am using a Human arrow after a table stay and it works great. To use a Hungarian Cross after the table stay I would position myself behind the jump and off to one side. Then when the judge says "Go," would start the Hungarian cross. Your thoughts anyone? You can see Momo doing the Human Arrow after a Table Stay in the Standard Run here: https://youtu.be/ZOFqxwXoSc8

Niki Drage2 years ago

Hi Phil, If the course was set up so that you needed a turn with a change of sides on the jump after the table then yes, a Kabai / Hungarian Cross would work in such a situation. :)