Turning Back From a Tunnel [video]

Learn a handling technique called Turning Back From a Tunnel. This technique is dependant on the handler’s location and based on a rule developed by dogs. Most dogs will follow this rule naturally unless they have been taught otherwise.

Comments

Stephen Bugman4 months ago

I would like to know WHY the dog behaves naturally in the manner described (if the handler is 1 meter past the tunnel entrance, the dog turns back; if not, the dog turns in the direction of the curved tunnel). I have trained this and have replicated the results in the video. But understanding why the dog behaves this way would be most educational for me. Thanks!

Stacy Richards5 years ago

@Janita Leinonen Thank you, I understand now.

Janita Leinonen5 years ago

@Stacy Richards If you still can be after a Rear Cross on time on the exit of the tunnel, it's a good way to turn your dog by running past the tunnel exit. It's not luring, for a dog it is a cue to change the line after tunnel, like you can see in methodology video 9:51. We use that as a benefit that the dog follows the legs passing the tunnel while they are in. BUT the ideal time passing the tunnel exit is when your dog is in the middle of the tunnel. Then your dog have time to change the leading paw. So it depends on your position and your and your dog's speed if you can make it on ideal time after a Rear Cross. I have seen couple of dangerous crashes after the tunnel when the handlers have not passed the exit on time and the dogs have run to their legs. Both dogs and handlers have hurt themselves. I plan my course so that I either will be behind the tunnel on time or I plan already beforehand to run pass the exit and handle the previous sequence so that I know I'll be there on time. But I wouldn't change my mind just before the tunnel. I rather take disq if I had a poor plan than risk hurting my dog by running in front of it too late. We run pass if we want the dog to turn less (methodologia video 20:12) and we show the hand if want a tighter turn (methodologia video 19:58).

Stacy Richards5 years ago

@Jaakko Suoknuuti OMG !!!! I trained this at the club last night and WOW it works brilliantly! I showed my best mates and they were in awe and it worked for their dogs too and they had not even trained it. Another question: if I did NOT get past the tunnel, and the dog entered first, could I rear cross the dog, run to the tunnel exit and wave my hand in the exit so they know to follow me out? Sort of luring? thankyou

Stacy Richards5 years ago

@Jaakko Suoknuuti Thank you. I was guessing that would be the answer that I cannot fix. I understand better since you said: "If the dog assumes the handler is located in front of the tunnel she will turn to the same direction the tunnel is curved." I understand now why the handler must be 1 meter past the tunnel entry. thank you so much for the explanation.

Jaakko Suoknuuti5 years ago

@Stacy Richards Basically you can't fix it. When the dog enters the tunnel she makes up her mind, what to do at the exit, based on the handler location at the time of entrance. If the dog assumes the handler is located in front of the tunnel she will turn to the same direction the tunnel is curved. When the dog assumes to find the handler from behind the tunnel, but the handler can get in front side of the tunnel so that the dog can see the legs of the handler before exit the dog will make the decision based on what she can see and continue straight after the exit. This is not ideal way of handling, because one needs to overwrite the original cue. We try to avoid getting our dogs in this type of situations in order to try to be as consistent as possible in our handling. Normally verbal directionals can't overwrite the positional cue of the handler and in general it isn't anyway an ideal situation if there is contradiction between the elements of handling. Sometimes you can see the judge walking past the exit, causing the dog to go with the judge instead of handler located behind the tunnel.

Elizabeth Ampleford5 years ago

Thank you for adding the information on how to train the behavior by yourself. That is how I train most of the time!

Stacy Richards5 years ago

Love this Video, and the music choice is getting better :o) My question is: If I do not/can not make it to be 1 meter past the entry before the dog goes into the tunnel, How can I fix that? If my plan was to get there, but the dog ends up there first, what should I do to fix it? How do I then handle it so the dog does come out correctly? thanks