Tandem Turn [video]

Learn a handling technique called Tandem Turn which is one of the techniques that will turn your dog away from you. It is a very useful technique for handlers who are not always able to be close to the obstacles to cue a turn.

Comments

Sandra Clancy10 months ago

Yes I was a little confused about that so thank you Janita for clarifying.

Kathy Petronilast year

I had the same question about the arms. I get it now, thanks!

Phil Seyer & Magic Momo2 years ago

OK, the hands are not so important for more experienced dogs. Nevertheless, it is confusing when Jaakko does NOT use the opposite hand to turn the dog, yet you say that's the way it to do it. I suggest you explain that IN THE VIDEO not just in comments -- or make sure that all video examples are consistent with what you teach. So what I understand is: use the opposite arm, but do not wave it too high. Get connection first with the ar closes to the dog and then switch to the opposite arm. But if you are good like Jaakko, it doesn't matter what you do with your arms, just turn your chest and feet toward the dog to initiate the tandem turn.

Janita Leinonen2 years ago

Hi Phil, we teach all the dogs to turn away from the handler with opposite hand. After the dog has the skill to take out leg leading with that handling, it varies how much each dog need to cue that in course work. If the dog doesn't want to pass the handler or it anticipates and will turn behind the handler right away it sees the opposite hand (turns away before the handler actually turns the dog away), we would use the dog side hand to get the dog closer the handler or preventing anticipating. If the dog passes the handler easily and don't anticipate the cues, we use opposite arm.

Yuho Shin2 years ago

Is there any exercise 2 video?

Jenni Leino4 years ago

@Clare Wellington Could you send a course map of such a course plan? It would be easier to see what kind of situation do you mean. We could try out some options :)

Clare Wellington4 years ago

The video shows the tandem turn being used for a 180deg turn. Can it also be used for a 270 deg turn away from the handler? We had one of these in a training course recently and I wasn't sure if this was the best way to handle it. I'm very new to OMD but loving it! Thanks

Janita Leinonen5 years ago

@Ann MacLean Remember that everything we do, the hands and verbal is the lowest in the handling elements list that affect to the dog. I can't wait the garbage bag challenge to come out. You handle the whole course without the hands... That is the point I hope that it really hit you all to forget the hands :) But answer for this is that when the dog have a skill to turn away from the handler, it's only of the timing and body cue, not which hand you use. Dogs look most your movement, position, direction of your head, chest and legs. The reason we teach the turning away with the opposite hand, is that for dogs it's natural to turn towards the handler, not away from the handler. When they can follow the same hand through the whole turning, it's easy for them to learn to turn also away from the handler. After they feel comfortable to turn away from the handler, the hands are not the issue anymore.

Ann MacLean5 years ago

@Janita Leinonen OK, one more Q :) ... so you teach with the opposite/guide hand low (and closest hand low for initial connection) as shown in teaching part, but as you become more proficient, the closest hand and the movement are enough for the experienced team, as Jaako demos in the "Arms" part ? (his closest hand is highlighted).

Ann MacLean5 years ago

@Janita Leinonen Got it! Thks!

Christine5 years ago

Brilliant, thanks for the Question Nikki, and the answer Janita! I was wondering the same thing.

Nicki Gurr5 years ago

Thanks Janita! :)

Janita Leinonen5 years ago

@Nicki Gurr Hi Nicki, when Jaakko wants first the contact to his hand, he keeps the hand low and calls the dog to get a connection. When he sees that the dog has committed to come towards the hand, he turns the chest and feet around and the dog follows the movement. There is no directional or any other verbal cue for turning. We teach the turning away from the handler with the opposite hand, because the dogs naturally turn when the wrist is turned (if they are connected to your hand). But experienced dogs don't need so strong cues anymore, they read all the handling elements together and after connection to the hand, the body turning will be enough to turn the dog away. All the other dogs in this video are the beginners and they have never done this handling before filming this.

Nicki Gurr5 years ago

sorry, wrong markers... I don't see OA at :33 and :38 so wondering if he adds voice with the decel?

Nicki Gurr5 years ago

Great video! One question - Does Jaakko use Voice instead of the Outside Arm when he turns the dog at 0:33 and 10:50?

Janita Leinonen5 years ago

@Ann MacLean Hi Ann! The LapTurn is the next video that is coming out, so then you see the difference totally. But shortly, in Lap Turn, the handler doesn't turn at all, the handler's chest is pointing the same direction all the time. The dog is coming towards you and you turn the dog away from you by turning your wrist. In Tandem turn, both the handler and the dog are turning 180 degree. So you are using these in a different places. This was a good question and a good idea for a blog to draw some sequences where to use either of them! Always feel free to ask, we don't just want you to do these things, we want you to understand why and what's the difference either for the handler or to the dog, so we appreciate every question!

Ann MacLean5 years ago

Apologies if I'm over analysing (I'm in the process of adopting OMD method) - I'm looking at the difference between this and the lap turn. Mainly because i have the lap turn on a verbal, and want to make sure my body language doesn't conflict. To me, the Tandem uses the hand closest to the dog to get him where he needs to be, and then you push on his line to 'flip' to the intended line picking up with the guide arm for that intended line. For the lap turn, the arm closest to the dog does all the work, guiding the dog to you and through the 'flip', and then onto intended line. Definitely see how the Tandem is not a RC though! Thks :)

Linda Barton5 years ago

Once again I find your video well done, so clearly explained with great detail. The tandem turn is a favourite for Soar'n and I, and we thank you for this wonderful resource. It has made a huge difference in our agility game!

Kathy Zook Miller5 years ago

I sometimes need to make "rear cross on the flat" and "rear cross" because I can't always get in front of my dog. Your "tandem turn" is a wonderful handling option. Because you show the "mistakes" in addition to the "correct way", you've helped me quash my impulse to "over drill" with my dog. Now I look for answers in the teaching video instead - and that's pretty great, too!

Verónica Díez5 years ago

Fantastic!!

Stacy Richards5 years ago

Brilliant as usual !!! LOVE IT !!!