German Turn [video]

Learn a handling technique called German Turn. This technique is used in a S-pattern on a jump when the handler needs to switch sides. The tighter the line needed upon exit, the later the Blind Cross should be performed.

Comments

Sammi Flynn3 years ago

This looks like Running on the Dog's Line except dog changes side after landing, i.e. blind cross ends the German Turn. Correct?

Janita Leinonen3 years ago

Yes, you are right and important is the timing of the blind cross. Earlier you change, wider is a turn, later you change, tighter is a turn. In German turn, the blind comes really late.

Janita Leinonen3 years ago

Joseph4 years ago

I love this maneuver. Could you specify what type of situation it may be used. And why is it call the "German" Turn?

Janita Leinonen3 years ago

We use German turn for example in the situations where we are not able to be on the take-off side of the jump early enough. Similer way than Whisky cross in this explanation: http://www.oneminddogs.com/article/QA26-About-The-Whisky-Cross/ We saw this handling manuver first time in WC, done by many Germans and that is how it got it's name :)

Jenni Leino4 years ago

@Ann MacLean There are big differences between dogs regarding how well they tolerate distraction while they're jumping. As you said yourself, some dogs are "more forgiving" in this issue by nature :-) The dogs with more handler focus react more easily to things that the handler is doing. Pay attention to the placement of the reward and try to get your dog to focus on the task rather than on you. You might want to use nets or extra wings (as advised on the video) so you can place the reward behind them and get your dog's focus on the reward after jumping. Once he is focusing on getting to his reward, he will not pay that much attention on your movement behind the wing. Of course it's important to get out of the dog's landing point early enough so he doesn't need to worry about crashing into you :-)

Ann MacLean5 years ago

I find that for my older BC, I have to be at the edge of the wing, or already stepped around the wing (in other words he has to see a clear landing spot on takeoff), otherwise bar comes down. My younger dog, is much more forgiving this way, and trusts me to get out of the way before he lands. My goal is to be out of the way on takeoff, but sometimes I'm still moving through. Is this something you've seen before, or maybe there is another cause I need to be watching for on my videos? I'm going to review the training steps with both guys as you've shown ...

Niki Drage5 years ago

Awesome I love the way you broke down the training, will be getting to work on this some more soon! I love how fu whines around the turns, my flow does the same, they really do love it!

Kathy Zook Miller5 years ago

This is my favorite way to learn now! Your tutorial videos are first rate and address all possibilities. Yesterday I was having trouble executing a German Turn in a practice course. I was making terrible position errors making it very difficult for Dare not to crash me and/or knock the bar. I thought I knew the German. I NOW have a much clearer understanding!

Stacy Richards5 years ago