Reverse Wrap [video]

Learn a handling technique called the Reverse Wrap. This technique gives your dog the shortest path around a wing and enables a tight and quick turn.

Comments

Cliff Andersonlast year

What is a Wrap? I don't see it listed as one of the handling techniques.

Niki Dragelast year

Hi Cliff, the wrap is not a technique as such, we use several techniques to achieve a wrap depending on what happens before and after the obstacle. But in general a wrap is when the dog approaches a jump from the front or side and wraps the wing to go back in the direction it came from (or tighter), this can be done by cueing a Front Cross, Jaakko, Double Lap Turn, Flick and may other techniques. The Reverse Wrap is a wrap from a backside approach.

Cliff Andersonlast year

Thanks! That makes perfect sense.

Kate Dupont2 years ago

Whats the most noticeable difference between a reverse wrap and a backside?

Kate Dupont2 years ago

Also in the application of the moves?

Megan Foster2 years ago

A backside send is when you send the dog behind the jump and continue on that same line (a slice) with no side change. You can follow a backside send with other techniques like a front cross, blind cross, or running on the dogs line, or reverse spin. A reverse wrap changes the dog's natural line after a backside to a tight circle/wrap, and also changes the handlers guiding side.

Kate Dupont2 years ago

Thank you!

Christy Skinner3 years ago

Do you do this in a competition? I don't see how I would ever had time to just be standing in the front of a jump in a competition. I have a very fast dog and I am rarely if ever ahead of her. In the US, the obstacles are much more spread out on the course than in the European courses from what I have observed.

Janita Leinonen3 years ago

I think we do it in every competition. There are rarely courses where we wouldn't need this technique.

Niki Drage2 years ago

I also use this quite a lot in competition, even though our courses in Australia are more AKC style. I also have a very fast dog but she has very strong obstacle commitment so I can connect with her straight after an obstacle and commit her to the next one and already be moving on to where I need to go next even if she is still several strides from take off on the previous obstacle. This means that I am almost always ahead of her so I can reach my critical points on time. It is all about lateral sends and distance for the "long straights" and strong obstacle commitment so that you can "show and go" to get to where you need to be. Our timing is now at a point that I often find I am waiting at the jump to cue to Reverse Wrap for about 2 or 3 counts because I got there earlier than needed. So even if your dog is fast, you can still easily stay ahead.

Megan Foster2 years ago

Christy, I agree with Niki - I use a reverse wrap on almost every AKC course lately.

Phil Seyer & Magic Momo2 years ago

Using "advance organizers" one might get in front of the second or third obstacle with a long lead out. Can't wait to try it in a trial.

jean emery3 years ago

Under the "Voice" cue, you say "collection cue." Do you use the dog's name as a collection cue, or do you train a specific word as a collection cue and how do you train it?

Janita Leinonen3 years ago

We use a collection word or sound. We condition the sound at the same time in basic training for this technique.

Irina Luft4 years ago

given the approach to the jump in the setup in the video is fast and the handler cannot get as close to the jump as shown in the video. How do you manage the tunnel trap? imo eyes, chestlaser and feet when cueing a reverse wrap in this case can be understood by the dog as tunnel cue.... so it depends on verbal cue discrimination?

Janita Leinonen3 years ago

We would choose for the previous sequence the technique that allows us to be on time in Reverse Wrap. We don't use word discrimination in this kind of places.

Jenni Leino4 years ago

@Claire Piffard You can now find an answer to your question here: http://www.oneminddogs.com/article/QA25-Reverse-V-Set-VS-Reverse-Spin/

Megan Foster3 years ago

is this Q&A no longer available? Comes up "page not found" for me. Thanks!

Jenni Leino3 years ago

http://www.oneminddogs.com/article/QA25-Reverse-V-Set-VS-Reverse-Wrap/ This is the correct link to the article.

Claire Piffard4 years ago

If you are able to get in position for either a Jaako or a Reverse Wrap with a Blind how do you choose which one to use ... are there any guidelines about angles, lines in and out etc? For example, jumps 6, 7, 15 and 20 on the FCI Individual Agility course for large dogs.

Jenni Leino4 years ago

@Kathy Zook Miller Human Arrow video is now online :)

Janita Leinonen4 years ago

@Mary Ellen Barry Reverse Wrap with Blind. In Jaakko turn the wing is behind the handler's butt, and that doesn't happen in Reverse Wrap with Blind.

Mary Ellen Barry4 years ago

If you finish the reverse wrap with a blind do you call it a reverse wrap with Jaakko? Or with blind?

Mary Ellen Barry4 years ago

The Reverse Wrap is my favorite technique!

Niki Drage4 years ago

Yay one of my fav moves!!

Stacy Richards4 years ago

Brilliant !!! I think i feel a Flow, Po & Zo training day coming up eh Niki!

Kathy Zook Miller4 years ago

Jenni Leino4 years ago

@Kathy Zook Miller Human Arrow video is just being finished and it will be the next handling technique video to be published :-) We'll do our best to get it out in about two weeks so stay tuned!

Diana Chapman4 years ago

Look at this: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHEwzO3RyrkwnxmYUD_LIC__CCWuzuQ9V There is a lot of good stuff on these videos.

Kathy Zook Miller4 years ago

"dog should know collection training from Human Arrow. . ." I've not had the opportunity to learn Human Arrow. I have enough "collection" training on my dog to go ahead and teach Reverse Wrap as you've shown it, but I look forward to a tutorial or coaches corner description of the Human Arrow - thank you! And if it's already been described here, please tell me where as I've missed it. . .