Following the Handling [video]

Teach your dog that following the handling is valuable. A dog that follows handling is less likely to take off-course obstacles and will find it easier to learn new handling techniques.

Comments

K9 Misfits10 months ago

Hi, is there a copy of these exercises available to print? Or do I need to write down each exercise to practice.

Niki Drage10 months ago

Hi, We don't currently have a written copy, but I suggest writing out the exercises in your own words as you watch the video, that often makes it easier to understand when you go back to read them :)

Maureen Michaudlast year

Ok so I have been working on having my dog to looking straight ahead at the toy instead of looking at me but when I come to do this exercise of wanting him to look at me before going to the toy he still thinks that he is suppose to focus ahead. Any suggestions!

Stacy Richardslast year

Hi, Jenni has a great reply below.

Elsie Pfleider2 years ago

I so need this with my new pup. She's obstacle driven and needs to learn to follow the hand. Thank you!

Franklin3 years ago

my dog ​​is easily distracted, becomes the first obstacle and instead of following my orders, continue straight Thank you

Joseph3 years ago

Could you point out which other videos are directed towards training handler focus. My dog it too obstacle focused and needs to pay attention to my cues more.

Jenni Leino3 years ago

Hi Joseph! You will get your dog to focus more on you by rewarding him more from your hand, and after turns, instead of placing a reward on the ground or letting an assistant reward him. You can start by a bit less speed and with just one jump. Add speed to the approach after your dog starts to react to your cues and starts expecting the reward after the turn :-) I recommend you take a look at this Next Level video about basic training, you can see more versions about the Following the handling exercises: http://www.oneminddogs.com/article/next-level-part-14/

Joseph3 years ago

Thank you Jenni. That makes sense. I suspected as much but needed to hear it. So rewards from handler's hand, slower approach showing deceleration adding speed when he begins to respond to my cues and expects rewards after the turn. I will study Next Leve 14.

Jenni Leino4 years ago

@Lindy Kuisma Wang When we do these exercises with puppies and young dogs, we usually have someone holding the dog so we don't have to practice two things at the same time (stay and the actual exercise). This way it is easier for the puppies to concentrate on the task at hand and they also build up the drive to do the task faster.

Janita Leinonen4 years ago

@Lindy Kuisma Wang Lindy, someone has understod something wrong :-D We certainly start to teach stay right away as a puppy. I'm sure it has come from the sentence that, if we do some agility training with a young dog, we rather start just by sending the puppy to the jump or backside the jump than from the stay position. Many dogs loose their drive, if they have to stay all the time during the lesson. We try to build up high drive dogs from all breeds, so it's easier to keep them excited if they don't have to stay when we start the sequence. But IF the dog is really high drive already, we do much more starts from stay position!

Lindy Kuisma Wang4 years ago

I was told that OMD does not teach a stay until the dog is a year old. A stay is needed to do these exercises

Liz Laidlaw4 years ago

This is absolute GOLD. Thank you!

Stacy Richards4 years ago

I love this sort of basic foundation, but although it appears basic.... it think it is one of the Key elements to the OMD handling. I am teaching my 3 foundation students this so that my job will be easier with them further down the track. Thank you !!!

Jenni Leino4 years ago

@Kaitlyn Dreese The dogs do expect a reward after a competition run and of course they've earned one :-) I believe your dog runs to his leash to reward himself by playing with it. You could start by building up another kind of routine in the end of a course and try to find an even better reward for your dog. You could reward the dog yourself after the last obstacle or you might have someone else helping you by giving the reward to your dog after he crosses the finishing line. How to reward your dog in the end of a competition course depends on a lot of things: the rules (what kind of rewarding is allowed in the ring / near it), the location (how much room you have), how far behind the dog you are when he crosses the finishing line etc. I find it great if you can leave a reward for the dog somewhere near the finishing line so the dog can focus on going forward at full speed.

Kaitlyn Dreese4 years ago

I really love these drills, Phil and I have been practicing with them. When we get into the ring, near the Ned of the run he tends to pay more attention to running for his leash than to what I am saying. He'll run around the jump or knock the bar. Is there something I can do to help fix this? He does these exersizes well?

Vivyane Specian4 years ago

Excellent foundation! Thank you for teach us.

Michelle Varcoe4 years ago

Yes, brilliant foundation.

Catherine Thomas4 years ago

Perfect ... just like everything else :) We just started teaching "come to hand" in my foundation pre-agility class - I have always taught it BUT you absolutely EXCELLENT breakdown made instruction much smoother and BETTER for this group! We will move to this next. THANK YOU

Kathy Zook Miller4 years ago

Brilliant foundation and as always I love the "troubleshooting" it enhances my understanding so much!